We wanted our steel planters to have that nice rusty look that says, "I've been here for a long time, but I still look darn good." To do that, we had to find a way to create rust, but stop it from destroying the steel. Here's what we did:
How to Get the Rusty Look
- Mix 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water in a garden sprayer.
- Spray a heavy coat on the steel.
- Let the steel get as rusty as you want.
- Mix 1 part baking soda to 3 parts water.
- Spray the steel to neutralize the vinegar.
- Hose down the steel with water to remove any lasting vinegar.
- Let steel dry completely.
- Coat the steel with polyurethane to keep it from rusting any more.